Here’s some interesting info about Malawi:
- Formerly called Nyasaland
- Capital is Lilongwe
- 50% larger than Scotland
- Population is over 11 million and rising
- Currency is Kwacha
- Seasons: October – May is hot with rain. May – August is dry and cool
- English is the official and business language and Chechewe is the national language. Tumbuka is spoken in the north, where The Raven Trust principally works.
- Malawi has a varied religious make-up comprising of traditional religions and Christianity, with Hindu and Muslim minorities
- Diet is primarily maize eaten with vegetables and occasionally fish or meat
- Life expectancy for males is 39 years old and 44 years old for females
- Age ratio is 45% for 0-14 year olds, 52% for 15-64 year olds and 3% for over 65 year olds
- Exports – commodities: tobacco, tea, sugar, coffee, peanuts and wood products
The Raven Trust relies solely on donations and gifts of hard work in order to help and support the people of Malawi.