Here’s some interesting info about Malawi:
- Formerly called Nyasaland
- Capital is Lilongwe
- 50% larger than Scotland
- Population is over 11 million and rising
- Currency is Kwacha
- Seasons: October – May is hot with rain. May – August is dry and cool
- English is the official and business language and Chechewe is the national language
- Malawi has a varied religious make-up comprising of traditional religions and Christianity, with Hindu and Muslim minorities
- Diet is primarily maize eaten with vegetables and occasionally fish or meat
- Life expectancy for males is 39 years old and 44 years old for females
- Age ratio is 45% for 0-14 year olds, 52% for 15-64 year olds and 3% for over 65 year olds
- Exports – commodities: tobacco, tea, sugar, coffee, peanuts and wood products
The Raven Trust relies solely on donations and love gifts in order to help and support the people of Malawi. Every item is significant, no matter how small, because the Malawian people have the same basic needs as all of us!
Knitted baby clothes, blankets, toiletries, sport strips and other leisure items – these are ALL essentials and we can take them out to the people who need them. Help us to help them by contacting us today. John or Sue Challis would be delighted to hear from you.